Carolina offers admission to 2,655 additional first-year candidates

UNC-Chapel Hill’s Office of Undergraduate Admissions on Friday released an additional round of decisions for 15,817 first-year candidates, offering admission to 2,655 students.

The University received a total of 31,321 first-year applications this year — a ninth consecutive record, an increase of two percent over last year and an increase of 35 percent compared to five years ago. Overall, 28 percent of all first-year candidates have been offered admission. Of all of the applicants from North Carolina, 52 percent have been offered admission and of all the applicants from outside North Carolina, 17 percent have been offered admission.

Across both deadlines, 83 percent of admitted students are ranked in the top 10 percent of their high-school class, and nearly half are ranked as top-10 students. The middle half of the class scored between 1270 and 1500 on the Critical Reading and Math portion of the SAT and between 29 and 34 on the ACT.

“As impressive as these numbers might be, they don’t tell the full story of these students,” said Stephen Farmer, Vice Provost for Enrollment and Undergraduate Admission. “Our class will include inventors, entrepreneurs, veterans, leaders, athletes, artists and community servants. These students have traveled different paths to Carolina. They come from 96 North Carolina counties, 49 states and the District of Columbia and 55 different countries. Some come to us from the strongest high schools in the country and some from schools that are struggling. They have all earned their place at UNC.”

Roughly 14 percent will be following in the Carolina footsteps of one or more parents, while another 14 percent will be the first in their families to attend college. More than 19 percent identify themselves as African American, American Indian, or Latino or Latina.

“Even as we celebrate the good news that we’re delivering to these students, we can’t help feeling great remorse for the disappointment we are causing many others,” Farmer said. “Over the next few weeks, we will do our best to console and reassure these students and their family members. Of course, we will also be working hard to persuade the students we’ve admitted to join our community in the fall.”

The University expects 3,990 new first-year students to enroll in August.

More information for students who were admitted, waitlisted or denied can be found on the Carolina Undergraduate Admissions blog.

By Ashley Memory, Office of Undergraduate Admissions

Published March 31, 2014