From the “The Nutcracker” featuring the Carolina Ballet at Memorial Hall to “It’s a Wonderful Life: A Live Radio Play” at the Paul Green Theatre, there are plenty of activities that celebrate the season at Carolina. Concerts that highlight the talent of the UNC community are scheduled and the annual Jingle Bell Jog sponsored by Campus Recreation will get you much-needed exercise this time of year.
Here are some of the events that are taking place across campus:
- PlayMakers Repertory Company presents “It’s a Wonderful Life: A Live Radio Play” from Nov. 28th-Dec. 16th at the Paul Green Theatre. Tickets may be purchased at the box office or by calling 919-962-7529 (PLAY).
- Morehead Planetarium and Science Center hosts a Holiday Concert Series. Performances include The Clef Hangers/The Loreleis from 7:30-8:30 p.m. on Nov. 30; The John Brown Quintet from 7:30-9 p.m. on Dec. 1; and The Sandbox Band from 7-8 p.m. on Dec. 8. Tickets are available online.
- Carolina Performing Arts hosts the “The Nutcracker” featuring the Carolina Ballet at 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. on Dec. 1 and at 2 p.m. on Dec. 2 at Memorial Hall. Tickets may be purchased online, at the Memorial Hall Box Office or by calling 919-843-3333.
- The General Alumni Association hosts its annual Holiday Concert at 7 p.m. on Dec. 3 at the George Watts Hill Alumni Center. Tickets are available online.
- A bilingual reading of the Dr. Seuss classic “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” will take place at 4 p.m. on Dec. 4 in Bull’s Head Bookshop in UNC Student Stores. The event is free and open to the public.
- Students are invited to the Frank Porter Graham Student Union to relieve some stress and make gingerbread houses from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Dec. 5.
- “Chilly and Charming,” the 20th Annual Winter Stories Program for children of all ages will be held on Dec. 6 in the Pleasants Family Assembly Room in Wilson Library. Cookies will be served at 5 p.m. in the library lobby. The program begins at 5:30 p.m.
- The Jingle Bell Jog, a 3-mile fun run or 1.5-mile walk, is open to all UNC-Chapel Hill faculty and staff. The run starts at 12:15 p.m. on Dec. 7 in front of the Student Recreation Center.
- Carolina Performing Arts hosts “Jazz for the Holidays” by the North Carolina Jazz Repertory Orchestra featuring music director Jim Ketch with special guest John Pizzarelli. The show is at 8 p.m. Dec. 7 in Memorial Hall. Tickets may be purchased online, at the Memorial Hall Box Office or by calling 919-843-3333.
- The Carolina Inn hosts the Twelve Days of Christmas with decorations inspired by the traditional holiday song throughout December. Various events will also be held during the month.
Published November 28, 2012.