Old Well

ccm1_017934
  • Old Well
  • Old East
  • Forest Theater
  • The Pit
  • Davie Poplar
  • Unsung Founders Memorial
  • Silent Sam
  • Caldwell Monument
  • Morehead Planetarium
  • Coker Arboretum
  • Playmakers Theater
  • South Building
  • Gerrard Hall
  • Eve Marie Carson Garden
  • Carolina Alumni Memorial in Memory of Those Lost in Service
  • Paul Wellstone Memorial Garden
  • Thomas Wolfe Memorial
  • Morehead-Patterson Bell Tower
  • 9/11 Memorial Garden
  • Charlie "Choo Choo" Justice
  • Carolina Inn
  • Ackland Art Museum
  • Person Hall

At the heart of campus stands the visual symbol of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. For many years the Old Well served as the sole water supply for Old East and Old West dormitories.

In 1897, the well was given its present decorative form at the direction of President Erwin A. Alderman, who described his beautification project as largely derived from the Temple of Love in the Garden of Versailles.

In 1954 the well was given added beauty with brick walks, plantings, and benches. Students can bring good luck with a drink from the Old Well on the first day of classes.