FIRST LOOK: A Program of College Access for North Carolina’s Middle School Children
First Look is an initiative to increase college awareness and access to higher educational options. First Look introduces middle school children to the concept of college – academics, the arts, athletics, student life, campus living, global education – as a pathway to a career.
First Look Itinerary (Times are approximate)
Learning about college
- Student Life
- Campus Living
- Global Learning
Discussing financial resources / Addressing barriers to going to college.
- How to pay for college: A Carolina Covenant Scholars’ story & explanation of options
- Introduction to resources @ college and in schools
- Q & A with First Look guides
Touring the Campus
- Campus tour to visit classrooms, student union, library, landmarks, etc.
- Wrap-up in Kenan Stadium
- Lunch @ Rams Head Dining Hall
First Look for fall semester 2014 is full and all dates are reserved. Please mark November 1 on your calendar for www.unc.edu/visitors to submit a spring request, when the registration process opens.
- 1 chaperone per 10 kids
- Maximum number of students is 100
- A gentle reminder that the classroom portion of First Look begins promptly at 10 a.m.
For questions regarding First Look, please call UNC Visitors’ Center at 919-962-1630.